Last Updated June 8, 2020
- Additional detail regarding what personal information and other information we collect from you, and how we collect and use it;
- Further descriptions of the parties with whom and for what purposes your information is shared; and
- What rights you have regarding your personal information.
App Annie cares about the privacy of individuals who use our mobile application, My Data Manager (“App”) and, where applicable, its website at https://www.mydatamanagerapp.com/ (“Site”) (together our “Services”).
As used herein, “App Annie,” or “us/we/our”, refers to App Annie Inc., a US company, acting by itself and/or through entities that are legally part of the App Annie family of companies (the “Related Companies”). Those Related Companies include, but are not limited to, App Annie Europe Limited, Mobidia Technology Inc., and Distimo B.V.
Your use of the Services is subject to this Policy and the Terms of Service accessible on the App or Site. If any term of this Policy is unacceptable to you, please do not use the Services and do not provide your personal information.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
For the purpose of this Policy, “Personal Information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual. We obtain Personal Information relating to you from various sources described below.
If you do not provide Personal Information when requested, you may not be able to benefit from our Services if that information is necessary to provide you with the Services or if we are legally required to collect it. Where applicable, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Information, as well as the consequences of failing to do so.
i. Personal Information Provided Directly by You
If you contact us directly, such as to request information, access the Services, or connect with Customer Support, we may receive additional information about you, such as your name, email address, the content, date and time of your message, and our reply. We also may receive information if you complete a survey, such as demographic information (e.g., age, gender) and any other information you choose to provide.
ii. Information We Collect About You When You Use the Services
Depending on which mobile device operating system you use, we may collect the following information:
We receive information about your device, which may include publisher identifiers, web browser type, operating system version, device manufacturer and model, language and regional settings, and carrier or network.
App Usage Information
We receive information about your interactions with the App like the pages or other content you view, the dates and times of your interactions, or how often you use our Services.
Mobile Plan information
Based on information you may choose to provide us about your mobile plan and data volume and usage, we may use this information to help you understand your plan usage as part of the Services provided to you.
We infer your location from information we collect (for example, your IP address indicates the general geographic region from which you are connecting to the Internet). We aggregate and anonymize your location data at the regional level. We may use this aggregated location data in order to improve the Services and/or to provide market research information for App Annie services.
Market Research Information
With your consent, we may collect information to create market research information (for example, which apps and websites you use, how many people use a specific app or website, how much time is spent on an app or website, and how many times a specific app is used). You can opt out of our collection of this information for market research at any time through the Menu in the App settings. If you opt out of market research, you can continue to use the App and all of its functionality. For more information, please visit Market Research Information in Section 2 below.
We collect information about crash reports and other details about any errors you may encounter when using or accessing the App (i.e., for example, lost connection to the Internet).
Mobile Application Providers
We may receive information about you from a Mobile Application Provider when you download the App from the application store (e.g., Apple iTunes, Google Play, etc.), such as your device information in order to provide you with the correct version of the App.
For more information on the cookies we use and how you can manage them, please access our “Cookie Preference Center” or from your browser setting. Please note that if you disable functional cookies on your browser, some parts of the Site may not work fully.
We may partner with third-party advertising partners to manage our advertising on other online services. Ad networks allow us to target our advertising to users through the use of behavioral and contextual advertising. These third-party advertising partners collect and use this information subject to their own privacy policies.
If you download our App by clicking one of our ads, we will collect data through advertising IDs, such as a randomly generated identifier (“IDFA”), which is an identifier that does not contain Personal Information. This technology provides a unique identifier to your device to attribute, or measure, user interactions with ad campaigns, installs, and in-app activity.
You have choices regarding how we collect and use information. For more information, please see “Your Rights and Choices” Section 9 below.
App Annie will use your information, including your Personal Information for the following purposes:
Providing and Improving the Services
To provide, enhance, improve, and personalize our Services. We also may send push notifications to your device. You have choices with respect to the communications you receive from us. Please see “Your Rights and Choices” Section 9 below.
To understand and analyze how you use our Services.
To communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and to send emails to an email address you provide to us for customer-service or technical-support purposes.
Fraud Detection and Other Technical Issues
To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
To comply with applicable federal, state, and other laws and regulations, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or any other person, enforce our Terms of Service, or protect the content of the Services.
Market Research Information
If you have consented to our collection of information for market research, we will only share it in a way that does not identify you (e.g., in an aggregated form). No Personal Information received is disclosed or sold to third parties.
We may use your Personal Information for any purpose where you have given your consent (where legally required).
We only process your Personal Information based on a valid legal grounds in accordance with applicable law, including but not limited to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) when:
- You have consented to the use of your Personal Information, for example, to receive marketing communications or location tracking. You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us regarding the processing of your Personal Information, at any time and free of charge. We will apply your preferences going forward and this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent withdrawal.
- We need your Personal Information to provide you with the Services, including to respond to your inquiries.
- We have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information.
- We or a third party have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information to conduct business analytics, and otherwise improve the safety, security, and performance of our Services.
We do not engage in general profiling or automated decision-making practices.
App Annie may share Personal Information with our Related Companies in the ordinary course of business and for the purposes of providing the services set forth in this Policy.
We may share your Personal Information with our vendors, service providers, and other third parties that perform services on our behalf. This includes our data analytics service providers and customer-service support. We enter into confidentiality and data processing terms with these providers to provide appropriate and suitable safeguards for their processing of your Personal Information.
As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures
We may disclose Personal Information we have about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect against or respond to physical, financial or other harm, injury, or loss to property; or (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity.
Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
App Annie may disclose your Personal Information to a potential or actual acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
If you have consented to market research, we will aggregate your information with other information. We will only share such information in an anonymized and aggregated manner with our Related Companies and for the purpose of App Annie services or publicly. We do not sell your Personal Information.
App Annie may further disclose your Personal Information with your consent.
The Services are provided from the United States and other locations, and we may transfer your Personal Information to multiple countries throughout the world, including the United States, in accordance with applicable local laws and regulations. These countries may not have the same high level of protection as the data protection laws in the country from which you initially provided the information.
We rely on appropriate and suitable safeguards including EU Standard Contractual Clauses to transfer Personal Information to countries outside the EEA, United Kingdom or Switzerland where an adequate level of protection is not already guaranteed. If you are located in the EU, EEA, the United Kingdom or Switzerland, we comply with applicable data protection laws when transferring your Personal Information outside of these areas. In particular, we may transfer your Personal Information to countries for which adequacy decisions have been issued; use contractual protections, such as the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of Personal Information to our U.S. headquarters, other offices or third parties, or rely on third parties’ certification to the EU-U.S. or Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks, where applicable. You may contact us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below to obtain a copy of the clauses, relevant data transfer agreements or safeguards we use to transfer Personal Information outside of these countries/regions.
Personal Information will be stored and kept as long as needed to carry out the purposes described in this Policy or as otherwise required by applicable law. Unless we are required or permitted by law to keep this information for a longer period of time, when this information is no longer necessary to carry out the purposes for which we process it, we will delete your Personal Information or keep it in a form that does not permit identifying you. When determining the retention period, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of Services requested by or provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, possible re-enrollment with our Services, the impact on the Services we provide if we delete some Personal Information from or about you, mandatory retention periods provided by law and the statute of limitations, and our use of your information for aggregated market research.
App Annie cares about the security of your information, and employs physical, technological and administrative measures to protect the information you submit via the Services against loss, theft, and unauthorized access, use, disclosure or modification. However, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or guarantee that information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. Electronic communications sent to or from the Services may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information online and take special care in deciding what information you send to us. If you have reason to believe that your Personal Information is no longer secure, please notify us at the e-mail address provided in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below.
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 16 years of age, and no part of the Services is directed to children under the age of 16. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, then you may alert us at email@example.com. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 16, then we will promptly take steps to delete such information.
Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature. Because there is not yet an accepted standard for how to respond to Do Not Track signals, our Services do not currently respond to such signals. However, our Site does not track you. If you want to restrict ads in general on your devices you may opt out from ad tracking by enabling “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” (as applicable to your device) in your device settings.
i. Global Rights & Choices
- IDFA. You can reset the advertising identifier randomly assigned to your device at any time and can opt out of personalized ads by enabling “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” (as applicable to your device) in your device settings. When you disable “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Device Personalization” (as applicable to your device), advertisers and their measurement solutions will receive a blank device ID in place of a device-specific ID.
- Push notifications. You can opt out of receiving push notifications using your mobile application or device settings. Opting out of push notifications may impact the functionality of our Services.
In addition, we provide all users with certain rights in connection with our processing of Personal Information through the App:
- Access. App Annie will provide you with access to your Personal Information, which includes the right to obtain confirmation from us as to whether Personal Information concerning you is being processed. Where that is the case, App Annie will provide you with access to your Personal Information and information related to how it is processed.
- Erasure. If you have opted into sharing market research information with us and you want to erase any Personal Information that we receive, please go into the App settings and turn-off “Data Collection for market research by App Annie”. When you turn this off, we will no longer collect this information for market research and we will not be able to associate any of that information to you. For erasure requests related to all of your Personal Information received by App Annie through the App, you can delete the App from your device. If you delete the App from your device, we will no longer receive any of your information including Personal Information, and we will no longer be able to identify you as a user of the App. If you would like to request any information about the erasure of Personal Information received through our Support channels please submit a request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that we have the right to reject access or erasure requests that are unduly burdensome or repetitive, or that cannot be honored in light of legal obligations or ongoing disputes, or where retention is necessary to enforce our agreements or protect our or another party’s rights, property, safety, or security, or other reasons under the law.
If you have any questions about exercising your rights, please contact us using the information listed in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below.
ii. For Residents in the EU, EEA, United Kingdom, and Switzerland
In addition to the global rights above, the GDPR, or other applicable laws, provide you with additional rights regarding your Personal Information, as follows:
- Rectify. You have the right to update or correct your Personal Information (e.g., your e-mail address) which you submit for support cases. However, App Annie does not have an ability to rectify your Personal Information collected through your use of the App. App Annie cannot rectify your Personal Information, it can only delete your Personal Information which is collected through the App. As described in the “Erasure” subsection above, above, once you have deleted the App, any Personal Information that you had provided through the App is anonymized.
- Data Portability. You may have the right to exercise your right to data portability to easily transfer your Personal Information to another company.
- Object. You may also object to the processing of your Personal Information under certain circumstances, including objecting to processing your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes or when it is done based upon legitimate interest.
- Restrict. You may restrict us from continuing to process your Personal Information under certain circumstances (e.g., where you contest the accuracy of your Personal Information, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of the Personal Information).
- Consent Withdrawal. You may withdraw the consent that you might have given with respect to the processing of your Personal Information at any time with future effect.
- Complaint. If you are not satisfied with App Annie’s response or believe that your Personal Information is not being processed in accordance with the law, you may also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority in your country of residence, place of work or where the incident took place, or seek other remedies under applicable law. For more information on how to lodge a complaint in the EU, please see https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
iii. For Residents of California
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides you with additional rights regarding your Personal Information.
Collection of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have collected from you or from your use of the Services, categories of Personal Information as defined under the CCPA, which includes the following:
- Identifiers, such as your first and last name, e-mail address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol, advertising identifiers and other similar identifiers
- Protected Classifications, such as your gender and age
- Internet or Other Similar Network Activity, such as your browsing history, search history, and information on your interaction with our Site
- Geolocation data
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information, such as a profile reflecting your preferences, characteristics, trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have used and disclosed the categories of Personal Information from the sources described in Sections 2 and 3, for business purposes, including:
- Auditing consumer interactions, including, auditing compliance with this specification and other standards;
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity;
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Providing services (including providing customer service, analytics or similar services on behalf of the business or service provider);
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration (i.e., to develop new products or features); and
- Undertaking activities to maintain the quality or safety of the Services and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the Services.
We also may have used and disclosed the Personal Information we collect for commercial purposes to provide you with our Services, as described in Sections 2 and 3 of this Policy above.
Disclosure of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, including to the following categories of third parties:
|Categories of Personal Information||Categories of Third Parties
|Identifiers, such as your first and last name, address and e-mail address||Our Related Companies
Customer service provider
|Protected Classifications, such as your gender and age||Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
|Internet or Other Similar Network Activity, such as your browsing history, search history, and information about your interaction with our Site||Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
|Geolocation data||Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
|Inferences Drawn from Personal Information, such as a profile reflecting your preferences characteristics, trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes||Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
California Resident Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, in addition to the rights described above under “Global Rights & Choices” above, you have the following rights.
- Right to Access Specific Information. You may request access to the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected, used, and disclosed about you in the twelve (12) months preceding your request.
- Right to Know Personal Information. You may request to know the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you and the purposes for doing so; the categories of sources of that data; the categories of third parties with whom we shared it for a business purpose and our purposes for doing so.
- Right to Opt Out of Sale of Personal Information. The term “sale” is defined broadly under the California Consumer Privacy Act. To the extent that “sale” under the CCPA is interpreted to include interest-based advertising or other data uses described in the “Cookies” section above, we will comply with applicable law as to those activities. To opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, you can exercise your choice by using your account privacy settings, or the “Cookie Preference Center” link located at the footer of our homepage.
- Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your privacy rights under CCPA or applicable law, including by denying you Services, providing you a different level of Services, or suggesting that you will receive a different level of quality of goods or services.
Verification and Authorized Agent
To exercise your rights, please follow the instructions above and the contact information in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below. We will confirm receipt of your requests and respond within 30 calendar days, unless additional time is needed, in which case we will provide notice and an explanation of the reason. Also, to respond to your request to right to know and/or delete, we must verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you, or others. To do so, we collect your e-mail address to verify your identity through the App. We also may contact you by e-mail (if you have provided it to us) to verify your identity and ask you additional questions so that we can match your identity with the data we have about you. In some instances, we may ask you to declare under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose Personal Information is the subject of the request. If we cannot verify your identity, we may reject your request in whole or in part.
You also may designate an authorized agent to make a request for you. To use an authorized agent, we may require: (1) your signed permission designating the authorized agent; (2) evidence that the authorized agency has power of attorney under the California Probate Code; or (3) proof that the authorized agent is registered with the California Secretary of State and that you have authorized such authorized agent to be able to act on your behalf. We may deny a request from an authorized agent who does not submit sufficient proof.
We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time. We will post any adjustments to this Policy on this page, and the revised version will be effective the date it is posted, which is identified at the top of the page. If we materially change the ways in which we process your Personal Information previously collected from you, we will notify you through our Services or any other means. We encourage you to review the Policy, which may be updated from time to time. Your continued use of our Services after such amendments will be deemed your acknowledgement of these changes to this Policy.
If you have any questions or concerns about App Annie’s privacy practices or about this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights in relation to your Personal Information, you may:
- Contact App Annie via e-mail at: email@example.com, or
- Write us at:
App Annie Legal Department
One Kearny Building
23 Geary Street, Suite 400/800
San Francisco, CA 94108
App Annie’s Data Protection Officer may be contacted via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at the following address:
App Annie Legal Department
ATTN: Wade Foley
One Kearny Building
23 Geary Street, Suite 400/800
San Francisco, CA 94108
App Annie Inc. is the entity responsible (data controller) for the processing of your Personal Information.